Friday, January 17, 2020

Rainbows

     Since Breckin's death, rainbows have become a special part of my life. On the day that she entered her heavenly home, a rainbow appeared in the sky. I never actually saw it in person, well because I was in a complete daze and wasn't paying attention to anything around me, but I heard about it and saw a picture of it. A few days later, I received a gift from a sweet friend of a rainbow-colored wind chime. It was beautiful, and I received comfort when I would hear the light tinkling of the chimes in my backyard. It made me think of my sweet Breckin singing praises to her King in her beautiful voice. 
   When Breckin was on this earth, she was blind. She was not able to perceive color or light, but as soon as she passed from this earth, her eyes were opened, and she can now she all the colors of the rainbow, and like my daughter Harper says: "She can see colors now that we can't even see." In the Bible, in the book of Genesis, God brings a flood to destroy the earth, and everything in it. Before this happened, he told a righteous man named Noah to build an ark to save himself, his family, and two of every kind of animal. Noah was obedient, and when the floods came, everyone and everything on the earth was destroyed except for those saved in the ark. When the waters receded, and they were able to leave the ark, God put his rainbow in the sky as a reminder of his promise that He would no longer destroy the earth by water again. This rainbow represented God's promise to His people, and when I see a rainbow, I am reminded that God always keeps His promises.
     Every year in December, I do what's called a Jesse tree with my kids. It is a small tree with a different ornament for each day in December. These ornaments coincide with a devotional for that day from a story in the Bible that lead up to Jesus' birth on December 25th. On December 3rd, we celebrated Breckin's earthly birthday, and this was the first year that we celebrated without her. It was a tough day, but I made myself still do our devotional that day with Harper and Ollie. The story from that day was the story of the flood from Genesis, and the ornament was an ark with a large rainbow overhead. I knew this wasn't a coincidence. This was another way of God letting us know that He sees us and loves us. Every year now on Breckin's birthday, we will read about the rainbow and see the rainbow on the ornament as we remember God keeps His promises.
     Ever since Breckin passed, I have wanted something to wear or keep with me that would bring me comfort and make me smile when I think about her. I couldn't think of anything appropriate, and then a friend suggested that I get a tattoo. I thought this was the perfect idea. It's something that I would always have with me until I am reunited with her in heaven. So, Josh and I both decided to get one, and made the appointment, which just happened to be on the day after Breckin's birthday last year. On the way to get them done, we saw a cloud in the sky that showed all the colors of the rainbow. I have never seen anything like it. There was an actual rainbow inside the cloud. It only lasted for a minute or two and then disappeared, but Josh and I both saw it, and were brought great comfort from this, knowing it was a kiss from the King.
     So that day, I got a tattoo on my right wrist of a rainbow with Breckin's name over it in Braille. Braille was such a big part of her life here on earth, and it was something that made her so special and unique. Every time I see my tattoo, I am not only reminded of my beautiful Breckin, but also of my beautiful Savior. A God who has never forsaken me, who has chosen me for a purpose, and who always keeps His promises.

Love, B
 It's hard to see, and the picture doesn't do it justice, but here is the "rainbow cloud"
My tattoo

8 comments:

  1. I'm reading with tears in my eyes. How amazingly kind is the Lord to bring such sweet reminders of Breckin to you? And over and over again! The Jesse Tree and ornament story is new to me, but how beautiful. You're such an inspiration, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such reminders that HE is still here with me. Yes I thought the Jesse tree was really cool too.

      Delete
  2. While reading your beautiful post, I could help but be reminded of sweet Breckin’s smile, her laugh, her songs of praise. She was and forever will be a special girl to so many. God is so faithful in seeing you through one of the hardest trials you and your family have had to go through and we can see that through so many “kisses from the king”. Thankful for your willingness to share your heart through this time- you inspire me! Love you!- Brittany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, friend. Yes these "kisses from the King" are what get me through each day.

      Delete
  3. I love this! No only are you transparent about your experience but, your story is very inspirational as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings me tears as I read this blog. I’m so thankful that you and your family have received the blessing of this symbol of God’s love and faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Brooke, you are such a precious mother, daughter and daughter of the King. He is so proud of you and is using His creation to confirm just how much He loves you. Thanks so much for pouring yourself out to include us all on your journey, Love you.

    ReplyDelete